Department: Kennel Operations
Reports to: Kennel Supervisor
Position Status: FLSA Classification: 40 hours
Hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Computer System: Shelter Buddy (training Available)
The Humane Society of the North Bay is a non-profit animal shelter that cares for Vallejo’s lost and abandoned pets. We are a busy shelter, and may have up to 40 large dogs, 15 small dogs and 20+ cats (maximum capacity).
We are looking for a Kennel Technician who loves animals, has compassion for both animals and humans, has a strong work ethic, and a careful attention to details. The candidate must be able to work with large dogs and be comfortable with handling and interacting with dogs of different sizes and temperaments.
This is a physically and sometimes emotionally demanding job — but if you love animals, it is very rewarding.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures to ensure safe and humane treatment of animals admitted to the care of HSNB
- Supervise, train and motivate all staff to maximize their effectiveness and productivity and ensure that all staff are appropriately trained in the Standard Operating Procedures relevant to their duties
- Ensure staff is entering and updating all data related to animal care promptly, thoroughly, and accurately
- Ensure staff are accurately completing daily checklists and tasks through direct physical inspection of kennels and grounds
- Responsible for hiring and firing, conducting disciplinary actions and performance appraisals, with assistance from Board Liaison
- Work with Medical Lead to ensure spay/neuter appointments, medical appointments, surgeries, and medical care are scheduled and completed
- Continually observe conditions within the organization and recommend changes/improvements to the Board of Directors to ensure efficient use of resources and sustainability of operations
- Maintain our positive, collaborative relationships with other agencies, rescue organizations, medical providers, City staff, corporate entities within Solano County and local media
- Work with Board of Directors to develop annual budget and operate within budget guidelines
- Follow the strategic plan and budget for maintain revenue and expense goals
- Continuously monitor and enforce contractual compliance of our City and County agreements
- Review and approve all public communications including news and fundraising releases, organization publications and documents with assistance from the Board Liaison
- Coordinate with contractor to ensure and maintain functionality of current IT systems and equipment
- Work with contractors as needed to ensure functionality and maintenance of facility
- Attend regular meetings with the Board of Directors and committees. Provide detailed monthly activity reports to the Board of Directors (on Finance, Shelter statistics, Incidents, Personnel).
The Kennel Technician will be responsible for the care of our large dogs (sometimes small dogs or cats), walking dogs, conducting “meet and greets” with prospective owners, and monitoring their daily health. The duties include daily cleaning/sanitizing/disinfection of kennels and cages, doing laundry and moving supplies, and keeping the shelter grounds and common areas clean. The Kennel Technician will feed and water all animals twice daily. Training will be provided to administer prescribed medication, vaccinations, and microchipping as needed.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to use and understand proper sanitization/disinfection protocols, and apply them to the cleaning and maintenance in an animal shelter environment.
- Ability to recognize sick or injured animals and notify managers.
- Ability to comprehend and execute verbal and written instruction.
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
- Ability to recognize the need for, and use of, animal restraint equipment when necessary.
- Experienced in use of pressure washing equipment, hoses, and various cleaning/disinfection products
- Proper handling and caring of animals to perform the work in a humane and safe manner.
- Custodial or animal care and maintenance protocols.
- Knowledge of, and ability to understand, standard food measurements and special diet requirements.
- Record keeping, report preparation, and filing.
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Standard business arithmetic and basic fractions.
- Use and understanding of cleaning supplies, equipment and building maintenance.
- Perform other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the Supervisor.
- Carefully and methodically cleans assigned areas: dog kennels or cages, areas where animals walk, work areas, food and water containers, helps maintain animal shelter (including the grounds and equipment), and observes appropriate daily cleaning and sanitization protocol.
- Cleans, feeds, and provides water for all shelter animals, keeping accurate records on each animal.
- Observes animal behavior and health, reports and documents unusual behavior, health, and/or circumstances.
- Wash and fold shelter laundry each day.
- Monitor and maintain adequate supplies in your assigned area, keeping records and ordering through your supervisor prior to running out.
- Maintain common areas, including dog play and “meet and greet” areas, and keep the office free of boxes, donations, laundry, and debris or OSHA hazards.
- Maintain a pleasant, professional and clean environment for our animals, volunteers, visitors, staff, and the public.
- Bring dogs in and out of kennel areas in the morning to clean/disinfect. In the evening make sure that they have been walked during the day by an employee or volunteer at a minimum to provide bathroom breaks and all their bedding is dry, and water is full.
- Maintains safe and effective work environment and complies with animal shelter procedures, policies, rules, and regulations.
- Provides customer service during open shelter hours — greeting customers looking at animals in your assigned areas, assisting them with meeting dogs as needed, advising adoption counselors on human-dog meetings.
This position requires extended periods of standing, walking, reaching, twisting, and turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities. This position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing statistical reports and data, using a computer keyboard. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds, with assistance, if needed. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Hearing is required when providing phone and counter service. The applicant will be handling animals who may be scared, agitated or injured, and who may attempt to bite or scratch.
COVID-19 considerations: (Subject to change)
HSNB is open to the public by appointment only. We are following CDC guidelines, delivering as many services as we can remotely, and are disinfecting the shelter regularly. At this time, all unvaccinated persons that enter into any building or kennel at the shelter are required to wear face coverings.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $14.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability