The Adoption Process
We are appointment only. No walk-ins allowed. Please look at the bios and photos of our adoptable dogs and/or adoptable cats. If you find a pet who may be a match for your family, please follow the steps below:
STEP 1: Fill out an application
The applications below can be filled out on a laptop or computer, but need to be downloaded and printed from a phone or iPad:
Fill out the application, and save it.
- IF YOU RENT YOUR HOME: Renters need a letter from their landlord or property manager on letterhead, stating they are allowed to have a pet, and if there are any restrictions on breed or weight.
Bring this letter with your application to your scheduled meet and greet appointment.
- IF YOU OWN YOUR HOME: Homeowners need to provide proof of ownership – a mortgage statement or property tax statement.
Bring proof of homeownership with your application to your scheduled meet and greet appointment.
STEP 2: Email application
- Submit a copy of your Landlord letter or Proof of Homeownership with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the necessary documentation is received, an adoption counselor will contact you for an interview, to talk with you about available animals and to schedule a meet and greet appointment if there is a potential match.
All family members in your household, including dogs, will need to participate in the meet and greet appointment.
Please note that submitting an application means that you will be considered along with other applicants, and we will select the application that provides the best outcome for the animal.
Cats – $125 and up.
Kittens six months or younger – $225 and up.
Dogs – $200 and up
Puppies six months or younger – $300 and up
- Once the adoption or “foster to adopt” is completed, there are no monetary refunds.
- All adoptions have a two week return policy. If you return the pet within the first two (2) weeks from the date of adoption you will be given a non-transferable exchange voucher for the amount of the adoption fee minus $20. This voucher can be used to adopt one other animal within six months. No monetary refunds will be given.
- After the two (2) week return period has passed, and you decide that you can no longer care for the pet, you agree NOT to rehome the animal without contacting HSNB to discuss options for returning it or rehoming.
Adoption Fees Include
- Spay or neuter
- Age-appropriate vaccines
- Registered microchip
- Health record
To apply to adopt an animal, please complete the adoption application above.
Additional Adoption Information
We test animals for the following:
Dogs: Good with other dogs, food aggression, reaction on leash, noting any other attributes we may know.
Cats: Good with other cats, litter box trained, noting any other attributes we may know.
To Meet Our Animals
Visit our available dogs and cats on our website:
To learn more about our available dogs, visit: https://hsnb.org/adoptable-dogs/
To learn more about our available cats, visit: https://hsnb.org/adoptable-cats/
If you see an animal you are interested in adopting, please complete application process above.
Humane Society of the North Bay
1121 Sonoma Blvd (corner of Sonoma Blvd and Solano Ave)
Vallejo, CA 94590 ( Google Map Link )
We are currently closed to the public but are adopting dogs and cats by appointment only.
No applications will be accepted through the mail or onsite at the shelter.
If you do not have the capabilities to complete and submit an application online, please call our office 707-645-7905 any day 10:30 am – 4:30 pm to make an appointment.