The Humane Society of the North Bay is a private, nonprofit (501c3) corporation that was established in 1986 to offer shelter and adoption services for homeless animals. We were formerly known as the Benicia-Vallejo Humane Society.
We are not a city shelter though we have a contract with the City of Vallejo to take in they city’s strays, nor are we managed by or affiliated with any local, county, state or national organizations. Our financial support comes almost entirely from donations by generous individuals and local businesses. We welcome grant opportunities of all kinds! Other revenue comes from fundraising events.
We have a contract with the City of Vallejo to shelter stray and rescued animals brought to us by Solano County Animal Control, keeping them for a hold period that gives owners a chance to contact us. Rabies shots and other vaccinations are given to all incoming animals. Because of our contract with the city, we unfortunately are only able to accept animals found in Vallejo, or surrendered by Vallejo residents.
Our core services include:
- Shelter for animals who are lost, abandoned, neglected or surrendered by families no longer able to care for them.
- Adoption into loving, permanent homes.
- Foster opportunities for animals too young, ill, or poorly socialized to be ready for adoption.
- Returning lost pets to their owners (RTO).
- Dog licenses and microchipping.