Humane Society North Bay Job Description Front Desk/Receptionist
Department: Front Desk/Receptionist
Reports to: Operations Assistant
Position Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provide welcoming, attentive customer service to our clients through utilization of knowledge and proficiency in all aspects of reception duties, thorough communication and education, and dedication to the success of the shelter exceptional client service. As receptionist at HSNB, you will be responsible for record keeping duties, perform clerical duties related to animal care and treatment, and provide miscellaneous support to the Director of Operations, Operations Assistant, and animal care staff. These service functions include but are not limited to reception (visitor and telephone), maintenance of records, accounts maintenance, cash processing, data entry, word processing and mail service. This position requires an outstanding customer service attitude with excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
The individual must be able to prioritize multiple projects, work well under pressure and have experience supporting Directors, staff and board members. Position requires a strong ethical commitment to the mission and purpose of HSNB.
Supports the organizational mission and goals of the HSNB by:
- Promoting exceptional customer service for our clientele during all stages of their visit
- Functioning as a team member at all times by communicating effectively and diplomatically, being approachable and willing to assist coworkers, maintaining a positive and proactive attitude, and promoting interdepartmental communication and cooperation
- Creating a positive and memorable client experience by exceeding customer expectations and actively increasing customer loyalty
- Expanding knowledge through continuing education and the willingness to learn new tasks
- Interact with all animals with compassion and concern for their well-being.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Acknowledge each client promptly with a courteous, pleasant, helpful, polite and professional demeanor; conduct each client interaction in a manner consistent with quality customer service at all times; anticipate clients’ needs and offer assistance before it is requested; address client concerns regarding pet; handle emotional/controversial situations with professionalism and compassion, assist emotional or grieving clients as necessary; promote products and services; communicate expected wait times to the client; handle routine customer complaints and problems to the best of your ability; refer difficult or unfamiliar situations to Operations Assistant as appropriate. Assist in the updating of files; prepare and mail thank you cards and welcome letters, reminders.
Check-in and Document Administration
Greet clients promptly and politely; take lost animal reports; assist with adoption and other forms to ensure all forms are completed accurately and thoroughly; notify appropriate personnel of client’s arrival; follow up to ensure client’s needs are addressed.
Perform a variety of clerical Humane Society North Bay Job Description Front Desk/Receptionist
duties, receiving, sorting, distributing mail, sending out mailings, cleaning, organizing reception area, type memos, correspondence, reports and other documents. Assist in the ordering, receiving, stocking and distribution of supplies.
Address clients promptly at counter; ensure that all services are completed to client’s satisfaction; ensure client leaves with all appropriate instructions; clarify instructions as necessary; ensure charges are complete before check-out; inform client of balance due; accurately process invoices and payments; supply clients with accurate change and a printed invoice.
Answer all incoming calls in a timely manner, maintain courtesy and professionalism at all times; communicate holding periods to clients as necessary; screen and transfer calls to the appropriate staff member or voicemail; educate clients about HSNB and HSNB’s services; respond to routine questions; direct questions to appropriate staff person.;
Files and Correspondence
Read all incoming material to establish essential information, for example content or title; retrieve, sort, and file all information; maintain an arranged file room; assist in training of other clerical staff with clerical duties. Locate and eliminate materials from files upon request per record storage procedures.
Cleaning and Organization of Work Environment
Maintain cleanliness of work area keeping counters free of clutter, and spot cleaning areas as necessary; ensure lobby and rooms are clean and organized to portray an efficient and welcoming atmosphere; maintain HSNB’s professional appearance through attention to detail; restock products, client education materials and brochures as necessary; notify appropriate personnel for clean-ups as necessary; keep equipment and supplies well organized; help prevent the spread of contagions by sanitizing counter, tables and equipment and washing hands frequently
Safety and Company Policy Compliance
Be conscientious and aware of any potential dangers and implement safety measures when necessary for the protection of all staff, clients and patients; follow protocols and policies as stated in the HSNB Employee Handbook
Other Duties as Assigned
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Possession of strong organizational skills.
Home At Humane Society Job Description Front Desk/Receptionist
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Possess exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
- Requires strong client service skills. Personal contacts are with public members affected by a variety of problems, visitors and other team members. Considerable tact and diplomacy is required.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software applications including MS Office (Word)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job.
- Frequently position self and move about the reception area to file, use office machinery such as fax machines and computer, and assist clients with merchandise.
- Frequently transports inventory to stock shelves. Frequently handling 10 pounds and occasionally handling 30 pounds.
- Frequently required to communicate with clients, team members and associates. Must be able to exchange accurate information.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hazards associated with aggressive animals; hazards associated with infected animals; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; and possible exposure to contagious diseases. Insure cell phone not be used while performing duties.
Note: When duties and responsibilities change, job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties that you may be asked to perform. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform job-related duties requested by their manager.
To Apply: Please send your resume and a cover letter to: HSNB Jobs, 1121 Sonoma Blvd. Vallejo CA 94590
The Humane Society of the North Bay is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.