Your pet needs you even more when disaster strikes. Essential services are often unavailable and families are frequently displaced.
Here are important safety tips:
- Plan Ahead. You’ll have little to no time to organize in the midst of an emergency.
- Identify a safe place where your pets can go if you need to evacuate or seek shelter. NEVER leave animals behind.
- Be sure that ID tags have current contact information and are properly affixed to your pet’s collar.
- Tags and collars can get lost, so be sure your pet has a microchip with current information and an out-of-area contact.
- Always keep your pets’ vaccinations up-to-date.
- Prepare a disaster kit that includes pet carriers, food, bowls, bedding, kitty litter and box, a list of contacts, the name of your veterinarian, and copies of proper licensing and vaccinations.
For more information on keeping your pets safe, visit, http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/disaster-preparedness