Job Title: Kennel Technician
Reports to: Kennel Manager
Department: Kennel Operations
FLSA Classification: 32 hours, Hourly
Updated: April 16, 2019
Scheduled Hours: 32 hrs
Days: Friday through Monday
Hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Pay Range: $11.00 – $13.00
Computer System: Shelter Buddy
The Humane Society of the North Bay has an amazing opportunity available. We are looking for a Full Time Kennel Technician. Join our team serve the community and work with amazing animals.
The Humane Society of the North Bay has an amazing opportunity available. We are looking for a Kennel Technician to work Friday through Monday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. Join our team serve the community and work with amazing animals.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to use and understand proper sanitization techniques according to the UC Davis protocol, and apply them to the cleaning and maintenance of an animal shelter environment.
- Ability to recognize sick or injured animals and notify proper authority.
- Ability to comprehend and execute verbal and written instruction.
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
- Ability to recognize need for, and use, animal restraint equipment when necessary.
- Experienced in use of pressure washing equipment, hoses, cleaning products.
- Cleans assigned area; cat cages, dog kennels, work areas, food and water containers, maintains animal shelter (including the grounds and equipment), and observes appropriate daily sanitary protocol.
- Cleans, feeds, and provides water for all shelter animals, keeping accurate records on each animal.
- Observes animal behavior and health, report and document unusual behavior health, and/or circumstances.
- Wash and fold shelter laundry each day.
- Monitor and maintain adequate supplies in your specific area, keeping records and ordering through your supervisor prior to run out.
- Maintain common areas and keep free of boxes, donations, laundry, and debris or OSHA hazards.
- Maintain a pleasant and clean environment for our animals, volunteers, visitors, staff, and the public.
- Bring dogs in and out of kennel areas in morning to clean. In the evening make sure that they have been walked during the day, had bathroom breaks and all their bedding is dry, and water is full.
- Organize and oversee inventory of crates, cat pans, and supplies in the shelter while keeping it clean, clear and in order on a daily basis.
- Maintains safe and effective work environment and complies with animal shelter procedures, policies, rules, and regulations.
- Provides customer service during open kennel hours in your area. There should always be at least one staff in each area during shelter hours.
- Knowledge of, and ability to understand, standard food measurements and special diet requirements.
- Must comprehend and execute verbal and written instruction.
- Must work independently and without supervision.
- Proper handling and caring of animals to perform the work in a humane manner.
- Custodial or animal care and maintenance protocols.
- Record keeping, report preparation, and filing methods.
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Standard business arithmetic and basic fractions.
- Use and understanding of cleaning supplies, equipment and building maintenance.
- Perform other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the Shelter Manager.
Position requires extended periods of sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, and turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities. This position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing statistical reports and data, using a computer keyboard. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Hearing is required when providing phone and counter service. The incumbent is frequently around animals that are agitated or injured and may attempt to bite or scratch. You will have a variety of training days throughout the year. May be required to take on other duties in other areas on days the shelter is busy.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hazards associated with aggressive animals; hazards associated with infected animals; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; and possible exposure to contagious diseases. Insure cell phone not be used while performing duties.
Note: When duties and responsibilities change, job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties that you may be asked to perform. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform job-related duties requested by their manager.
To Apply: Please download and complete HSNB Employment Application. Send your completed application, resume and a cover letter to: HSNB Jobs, 1121 Sonoma Blvd. Vallejo CA 94590. Or email it to email@example.com
The Humane Society of the North Bay is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.